NutraSea DHA Omega-3 High DHA Liquid
Ascenta Nutrasea DHA Details
NutraSea DHA contains a high ratio of DHA – 1,000mg per teaspoon – and is our most sustainable marine-based omega-3 product. Omega-3 supplements high in DHA have been shown to benefit cardiovascular health and brain function, as well as the development of the brain, eyes, and nerves in children and adolescents. NutraSea DHA is available in two formats: a fresh citrus flavoured liquid and a 2x concentrated softgel.
NutraSea DHA is a marine omega-3 source that is unparalleled for sustainable and eco-friendly resource management. Wild squid are most known as the source for the popular dish calamari, enjoyed by millions of people around the world. Much of the wild squid, however, is not used for calamari and has traditionally been regarded as a waste product. The truth is this ‘waste’ product is not waste at all – it’s one of the best known sources of the same omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, EPA and DHA. Wild squid is one of the richest sources of omega-3, containing 35% more omega-3 than wild salmon and 100% more than krill!
This product may be a good choice for you if you’re interested in the following:
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Cognitive health
- Heart health
- A sustainable source of marine-based omega-3
Ascenta Nutrasea DHA FAQ
Can I give NutraSea Kids to children under one year of age?
Please consult with a health care provider before giving NutraSea Kids to children under one year of age.
Can I cook with NutraSea?
Heating the oil to cooking temperatures could result in a degradation of quality; instead, feel free to add NutraSea to foods after they have been cooked. In addition, NutraSea is great in salad dressings, pastas, yogurt, or mixed in a fruit smoothie.
NutraSea is a fat - will I gain weight from taking it?
No, the consumption of omega-3 fish oils should not cause an increase in body fat if you are taking the recommended dose. In fact, research reveals that omega-3 fatty acids actually promote fat loss.
- Noreen, E.E., et al., Effects of supplemental fish oil on resting metabolic rate, body composition, and salivary cortisol in healthy adults. J Int Soc Sports Nutr, 2010. 7: p. 31.
- Huffman, D.M., J.L. Michaelson, and T.R. Thomas, Chronic supplementation with fish oil increases fat oxidation during exercise in young men. Journal of Exercise Physiologyonline, 2004. 7(1): p. 48-56.
- Couet, C., et al., Effect of dietary fish oil on body fat mass and basal fat oxidation in healthy adults. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 1997. 21(8): p. 637-43.
- Hill, A.M., et al., Combining fish-oil supplements with regular aerobic exercise improves body composition and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Am J Clin Nutr, 2007. 85(5): p. 1267-74.
- Kunesova, M., et al., The influence of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and very low calorie diet during a short-term weight reducing regimen on weight loss and serum fatty acid composition in severely obese women. Physiol Res, 2006. 55(1): p. 63-72.
- Thorsdottir, I., et al., Randomized trial of weight-loss-diets for young adults varying in fish and fish oil content. Int J Obes (Lond), 2007. 31(10): p. 1560-6.
How does flax oil compare to NutraSea?
There are two dietary sources of omega-3 fatty acids: plants (which contain alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA) and marine-based sources like fish and squid (which contain EPA and DHA). One of the top food sources of ALA is flax (also chia and hemp), which is about 55% ALA by weight. Generally, North Americans consume plenty of ALA through our diets, but the physiologically-essential omega-3s, EPA and DHA, are consumed at much lower levels. While the body can partially convert ALA to EPA and DHA, humans generally have poor abilities to perform this conversion. Because fish oil provides the active forms of omega-3, EPA and DHA, its health benefits are greater and supported by a large body of research.
What ingredients other than fish oil are in NutraSea and why?
Ascenta uses different natural antioxidants in our products to prevent oxidation. Green tea extract is used in some of our products and provides excellent protection against oxidation, allowing our products to remain fresh for the duration of their shelf life. Phospholipids are also used in some of our products and are also very effective at preserving the quality of our products. Our studies have shown that both green tea extract and phospholipids are more effective than the commonly used antioxidants rosemary and ascorbyl palmitate.
What source of vitamin D3 is used in the NutraSea +D?
The source of vitamin D3 in NutraSea+D is lanolin from sheep’s wool.
Does NutraSea come from wild or farmed fish?
The sardines, anchovies, and mackerel in NutraSea come from wild, cold waters off the coast of Peru. The squid in NutraSea DHA is distributed in the Pacific ocean, more specifically in the South American and Asian parts of the world.
Is there any caffeine in the green tea extract used in NutraSea products?
The green tea extract in our products is used as an oil stabilizer to prevent oxidation, and not as a dietary source of green tea catechins. Laboratory test results confirm that the green tea extract used in our products is not a significant source of caffeine.
Adults and adolescents 14 years and older: Take 1 teaspoon of Ascenta NutraSea DHA daily.
Children 2-13 years: Take 1/2 teaspoon of Ascenta NutraSea DHA daily.
Store away from direct heat and light. After opening, refrigerate and consume within 100 days.
Serving Size: 1 Teaspoon (5 ml)
Servings per Container: 40
|Amount Per Serving|
|Squid Oil||4.59 g|
|Total EPA +DHA||1500 mg|
* Percent daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established
Note: Serving Sizes are rounded to the nearest whole serving
Additional Ingredients: Flavouring, tocopherols (derived from non-GMO soy), green tea extract.
Allergy Information: n/a
Warning: Do not use if security seal is broken.